idlcpa linkedin  idlcpa facebook

SB1060 Interior Design Registration Act introduced

Have you HEARD the news?  IDLCPA’s bill has been INTRODUCED!

Yes, you have heard this before… this time we have powerful senators supporting our bill with 9 senators confirmed as co-sponsors.

Senate Bill SB1060
Interior Design Registration Act

IDPCPA needs YOUR help….
Contact your Senator TODAY and ask
them to become a Co-sponsor!

Strength in numbers…let your voice be heard!
This bill can get passed with your help!

Don’t know how to find your Senator go to this link:

Senate Bill SB1060

What is the IDLCPA?

The Interior Design Legislative Coalition of Pennsylvania is comprised of over 1000 individuals who support Interior Design Licensing.  The members include ASID and IIDA members, unaffiliated designers, industry partners and members of the general public.  Anyone who uses public spaces should be concerned that the space is designed following safety codes.

Why do Interior Designers need to be licensed?

The code issue. Before buildings or spaces can be occupied, they must be inspected.  Before they are inspected, a permit must be filed.  Pennsylvania permitting requirements are governed by the Title 34, Labor and Industry/Part XIV, Uniform Construction Code.  This code regulates what types of buildings need to be inspected, what the inspections regulate, what is done if spaces don’t pass inspection and who is allowed to prepare the documents for inspection.

Specifically, the code reads:

403.42a Permit application.
(c) A licensed architect or licensed professional engineer shall prepare the construction documents under the Architects Licensure Law (63 P. S. §§ 34.1-34.22), or the Engineer, Land Surveyor and Geologist Registration Law (63 P. S. §§ 148-158.2). An unlicensed person may prepare design documents for the remodeling or alteration of a building if there is no compensation and the remodeling or alteration does not relate to additions to the building or changes to the building's structure or means of egress.

This means that Interior Designers can not submit documents for permitting, even if the scope of architectural work falls within interior boundaries (such as pre-existing buildings or shell buildings that would be considered non-structural commercial fit-outs or renovations).  If we do work in spaces of public occupation our choices are either to get an architect or engineer to submit architectural interior construction drawings……. or work for free.

The law is already on the books; IDLCPA is working hard to open up the code to allow for Interior Designers to practice legally to the full extent of their training, testing and experience.  Contrary to what many people think, Interior Designers do not just pick colors.  They are trained and capable of designing spaces that meet fire codes and ADA regulations.  If they are doing work that is regulated by the codes, and affects the health, welfare and safety of the general public, then they should be licensed by the state and held accountable for their work

What will it take to become licensed?

  • Education + Experience: Hold a baccalaureate degree or a master’s degree in Interior Design and complete 2 years experience.  Hold an associate’s degree and have 4 years experience.
  • Testing:  Pass the NCIDQ
  • Continuing Education:  Acquire a minimum amount of hours each year of approved Continuing Education Units as approved by the Licensing Board.

What is the status of Licensing in PA?

Senate Bill 1060 was introduced this past spring by Senator Kim Ward and Senator Tim Solobay.  We are currently pursuing co-sponsors to the bill.  Any and all senators can be co-sponsors, we just need to ask!  Legislators only want to hear from their constituents, they are the people they work for and keep them in office.  They are already hearing from the opposition, so we need to drown them out!

What can I do?

Contact your PA Senator

IDLCPA has been given direction from our lobbyist, Milliron & Associates, to have all members and supporters (including fellow designers, clients, sales representatives, friends and family) of interior design licensing call or visit their senators asking them to support interior design licensing by co-sponsoring SB1060!  
Call, email or fax your request to their office every month until we get our legislation passed!  
To verify your legislators' contact information go to:

Select address in the upper right hand corner box under "find Members by" and your House Representative and Senators will be listed. Remember to use the address where you are a registered voter.

What do I say?

  • That you live and vote in their district.
  • That you are a student or practitioner of Interior Design and that you support licensing of interior designers.  
  • Ask that they support your future by co-sponsoring the interior design registration act, SB1060
  • Thank them for their time and attention to this important issue.
  • Contact the IDLCPA or Andy Goodman at Milliron and Associates letting us know about your conversation and any response you received from your legislators.

Become a member

Membership forms are found on the website  Encourage family and friends to also become members.

Contribute to the PAC fund!

This money is our “ticket” to get in front of legislators and we can only collect from individuals.  You can send a check made out to “Interior Designers PAC” or make a donation online.

More Information

More information can be found on our website .  Please contact a board member with any questions.

House Bill 1258

Click image to view HB1258

Help IDLCPA when you shop!

By using the link below to shop Amazon, a portion of your purchase will benefit the IDLCPA PAC! Thanks!

Event Photos